Monday, June 06, 2005

Severn Pano



35mm equiv, 1/20 sec at f/8, ISO 200
Next :: Current :: Previous

Ok, so I've broken my own rules here. I don't think I've ever posted a pano on my blog, but saying as this one is a vertical pano I didn't think it would be too much of a problem. Also because it's a pano (roughly 22 mega-pixel final version) there's loads of detail so my usual 600 pixel image size doesn't do it justice. So this one is 800px.

The odd aspect ratio of most pano's means that they don't lend themselves to easy web presentation. Horizontal is obviously worst because it might mean that you have to scroll the page from left to right, but at least this way you might only have to scroll down (which you should be used to...)

If I were to critique myself, I'd say I like the composition of the previous photograph better, but like the inclusion of all the rocks in the foreground of this one. So much so I think I'm going to go for a re-shoot!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer the previous composition. I think pano can work but you're governed by slightly different rules. This shot, with the bridge effectively cutting the picture in half doesn't have a point of focus. You're not concentrating on just the rocks or the sky but including everything. Perhaps picking either forground or distance would exaggerate the panoramic aspect and give more drama.

One thing I do like with both these shots is you've taken a picture of a subject that would suit a landscape shot and pulled off a great composition with a portrait style shot.

10:12 am  
Blogger Daaave said...

Cheers James, I agree.

I totally agree sparx, and I think your comment about the portrait composition is possibly one of the best compliments I've had. Something that didn't even cross my mind, but I see what you mean now.

7:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home