Sunday, November 13, 2005

Battery Point




Camera: Canon 20D
Lens: EF 17-40 f/4L @ 17mm (27mm equiv)
Exposure: 905 sec at f/8, ISO 200
Next :: Current :: Previous

I haven't posted in a little while as it's been a little manic around here. My girlfriend has gone to live in India to carry out some research for her PhD so we have been running around organising stuff and hence I haven't been shooting much. Now that she's gone I'm really bored... come back soon honey! The solution to the boredom has to be my 20D, so out I went tonight. The moon is pretty full, the sky was clear and this is what I ended up with.

This is Battery Point in Portishead. Kinda strange place to be in the middle of the night, but very relaxing in the moonlight. Starting to get cold over here now though so I shot a few 10 - 15 minute frames and then came home.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprising what a really long exposure like that can produce. If it was not for the light on the beacon (and of cause the star trails) this could be mistaken for daytime. Fanstastic stuff!

8:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever you're doing to entertain yourself out there - keep it up! This is outstanding ... really ... I was just thinking ---if there were a way to get up there on that walkway -- that would make for a KILLER shot -- and spooky, too :-) I know how you don't like to see me in the frames -- but I'll tell you a secret -- people LOVE to see the photographer in the frame -- try it...

NIce shot ... I"m guessing you're shooting RAW -- you might want to boost up the shadows just a hair to bring out that sky...

You got it going on man... good stuff...

1:14 am  
Blogger Daaave said...

Thanks bob, I'll head back that way tonight and give it a go. I might even try standing the the frame for a little while, thanks man.

When you say boost up the shadows, I take it you mean in the direction to make the sky darker (so kinda like increasing contrast)?

Dave.

7:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice long exposure shots. How did you dtermine what the exposure ( shutter time) should be? Thanks. Great work!!!

3:32 pm  
Blogger Daaave said...

To work out the exposure and sort my composition out I set the ISO to 3200 and open the aperture right up. Then I let the camera try and meter a shot, if it can great, if not I try some bulb exposures past 30 sec.

Once I have a shot that looks pretty much correctly exposed, I'll change the ISO and aperture to where I actually want them and then try to re-calculate the shutter speed based on how many stops I've altered the settings.

It's nomally pretty easy actually to get a good exposure within a couple of shots. It's getting a composition that I'm happy with which is the difficult thing!

4:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home